Dissolve 5 cups of sugar in water (enough to cover) over heat in a saucepan. Add 4 cups of prepared flowers. Bring to boil. Simmer on low until water reduced by a third. Remove from heat. Strain. Bottle syrup while hot.
Serve cooked calyces with icecream or custard
Syrup has a shelf life of one year. Once opened keep in fridge for up to 3 months
Rosella Syrup recipe 2
2 cups cold water
2 cups caster sugar
2 cups wild rosellas, chopped
40 wild rosella flowers, whole
1. Place the water, sugar and chopped wild rosella in a wide stainless-steel saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently until the volume of liquid has reduced by a third.
3. Remove from the heat and strain to remove the solids.
4. Return to the pan, add the flowers and bring to the boil.
5. When it starts to bubble, remove from the heat and pour into sterilised jars.